cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP!!! ASA 5505 formatted disk - How to recover with no backup?

thomas
Level 1
Level 1

I brought an ASA 5505 off ebay and when it arrived it had an existing config. I'm new to Cisco and got the ASA for home to play with. In my ignorance I ran 'erase all' thinking that this would remove the config and return the device to factory default! Not the case.

I now have an ASA that I can only get to ROMMON with no backup and no firmware or boot image to restore. I've tried to download the firmware, though I don't have a service contract so the web site is a no-go.

Can someone please provide some guidance on how I can get this very expensive brick up and running.

Many thanks in advance.

TC

2 Replies 2

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Thomas,

You'll need to upload the ASA software via tftpdnld.

http://ccnpsecuritywannabe.blogspot.com/2013/06/manually-upgrading-asa-software-during.html?m=0

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The legitimate way to get the ASA software image to restore on a unit you own is to buy a service contract. The list price is only US$71 for one year. That will get you not only ASA software but also AnyConnect client software and product support - including the ability to call the TAC with support issues.

CON-SNT-AS5BUNK9

SMARTNET 8X5XNBD ASA5505-BUN-K9

Duration : 12 Month(s)

Once you have that, the restoral procedure mentioned above can be used.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card