cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how do I get dmz NAT'ed for outside access

KSVY_KSVY_2
Level 1
Level 1

i've got a 5505 with 7.2 code. I'm trying to get it's DMZ servers to communicate with inside and outside networks:

access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp "outside users" "dmz server" eq 3389

static (dmz,outside) "dmz server outside" "dmz server" netmask 255.255.255.255

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 "provider's ip"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Besides, the no nat-control has nothing to do with this, because you need NAT ir order to make your DMZ servers accessible from the Internet (unless you have routeable addresses configured on the server itself)...

I''ll suggest to try to get out to the Internet from the server itself (will discard any routing problem) and make sure the outside ACL points to the public IP of the server.

This should work, otherwise let us know what you see....

Thanks,

Federico.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi,

If you have this ASA and you want the DMZ servers to communicate with the inside and outside network, what you have to do is the following:

static (inside, DMZ) inside_LAN inside_LAN netmask

static (DMZ, outside) Public_IP_for_each_server Private_IP_for_each_server

Then, create an ACL for the outside and DMZ interfaces allowing the incoming traffic from the less security interfafces, to the more secure interfaces.

If you need a more detailed example, let me know.

Cheers,

Federico.

that's what I have configured.   ACLs are opened-up. Including "no nat-control". 

thanks, Kevin

For example, let's say that you want to allow any outside user to access server1 and server2 on the DMZ.

Server1 has private1 and public1 IP addresses
Server2 has private2 and public2 IP addresses

Then, the configuration will look like this:

static (dmz,outside) public1 private1
static (dmz,outside) public2 private2

The above commands is to create the translation, then the ACL to allow the incoming traffic from the Internet

access-list outside permit tcp any host public1 eq 3389
access-list outside permit tcp any host public2 eq 3389

Remember that you must apply the ACL to the outside interface

access-group outside in interface outside

With the above configuration, you should be able to enter via TCP port 3389 to both servers using their respective public address.

If it is not working, you can try adding another line on the outside ACL to allow PING

access-list outside permit icmp any host public1

And try to PING the server. If it PINGs, then you know is not a connectivity problem.
If it does not PING, then we can do more tests on the ASA, like using the Packet Tracer utility via ASDM or CLI to simulate the connection
and see what are the results on the ASA.

Make sure that on the outside ACL, there's not a deny statement on top of the permit statements that could be blocking the traffic.

Also try from the server itself to get out to the Internet and see if traffic flows that way.

Let me know please.

Federico.

What is broken? Who cannot access who?

access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp "outside users" "dmz server" eq 3389

The above line should actually be as follows:

access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp "outside users" "dmz server outside" eq 3389"

-KS

Besides, the no nat-control has nothing to do with this, because you need NAT ir order to make your DMZ servers accessible from the Internet (unless you have routeable addresses configured on the server itself)...

I''ll suggest to try to get out to the Internet from the server itself (will discard any routing problem) and make sure the outside ACL points to the public IP of the server.

This should work, otherwise let us know what you see....

Thanks,

Federico.

packet tracer helped.  DMZ server (only one for now) having issue wasn't configured correctly.

RDP requests are hitting the server's public address, then hits server's dmz address, then the server sends a reset back out.

but thanks again, for suggesting packet tracert.

kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card