Views
Helpful
Replies

How many default virtual context counts with ASA 5585 Series

vincent1103
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All:

I prepare replace FWSM to ASA 5585 Series,but I confuse the default virtual context counts on ASA 5585.

I used 3 virtual contexts on my old FWSM(1 admin context with 2 contexts).According the ASA configuration guide below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/mode_contexts.html#wp1188797

It state the ASA 5585 have default 2 contexts,Does it state the ASA 5585 just have 2 contexts or  1 admin context plus "2" context (3 contexts available)

thks fot your reply

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding even the ASA with the most basic license has 2 context available. "admin" context doesnt take one of these. So basicly you are able to use 2 contexts for your own purposes just like in a FWSM.

Also if youre planning on doing a Failover and run a newer software on the ASA the Failover pair will actually combine those basic 2 Security Context licences and you will have 4 available contexts.

With that you have to take into consideration though that if one of the ASA should happen to fail for some reason, you will only have a limited time to replace the damaged/offline ASA (might have been a month) to keep the combined amount of 4 Security context. And naturally the active ASA cant reboot or it will loose the 2 additional Security Contexts.

- Jouni

If each context is being backed up with one on the failover mate, you still only have two usable contexts (besides admin).

Dear Jouni:

Thks for your reply

I had 2 FWSM(base license) with A/S inter-chassis failover topology,each FWSM has 3 security context,one  of three security context been                     assign to the "admin" context role.So I can use the 3 security contexts(On active FWSM) for network access control.If the active FWSM have                   damaged,The standby FWSM can handel the access control with no network interuption.

According your explanation,Do you mean I can not use 2 ASA 5585-X to fulfill my current requirement ??

Hi,

To my understanding the ASA with the most default lisence lets you use 2 Security Contexts to your own purposes. Admin context will always be there on the ASA when running in multiple context mode. Its created when you change your ASA from its default mode (single) to "mode multiple".

In my original post the latter part was just to mention that to my understanding if you use 2 ASAs (almost any model) in failover with a software 8.3 and above the ASA will combine their lisences regarding some values. For example connecting 2 ASAs in Failover which have limit of 2 Security Contexts, they will get combined and the failover will have 4 Security Context limit.

Atleast that is what I see with the "show version" command and this is also what we have been told by a Cisco employee. Ive also been told that if I for example (running 8.3+ OS) buy a 5 Security Context license for the other unit, It will combine the others base license (2 SC) to the others units new license (5 SC) resulting in the combined Security Context limit of 7.

This is what Cisco documentation mentions about Active/Standby  and Active/Active Failover Licensing at version 8.3 and above:

Or you have two ASA 5540 adaptive security  appliances, one with 20 contexts and the other with 10 contexts; the  combined license allows 30 contexts. For Active/Active failover, for example, one unit  can use 18 contexts and the other unit can use 12 contexts, for a total  of 30; the combined usage cannot exceed the failover cluster license. 

I've have had 2 ASA5585-X ASAs combined in A/A Failover running 8.4(2) and they have atleast showed that they have the combined Security Context limit of 4 Security Contexts

Heres a partial output of the "show version" command on the ASAs in question when they were just out of the box combined in Failover with no other configurations other than running in multiple context mode and management configuration in admin context.

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces       : Unlimited      perpetual

Maximum VLANs                     : 1024           perpetual

Inside Hosts                      : Unlimited      perpetual

Failover                          : Active/Active  perpetual

VPN-DES                           : Enabled        perpetual

VPN-3DES-AES                      : Enabled        perpetual

Security Contexts                 : 2              perpetual

GTP/GPRS                          : Disabled       perpetual

AnyConnect Premium Peers          : 2              perpetual

AnyConnect Essentials             : Disabled       perpetual

Other VPN Peers                   : 10000          perpetual

Total VPN Peers                   : 10000          perpetual

Shared License                    : Disabled       perpetual

AnyConnect for Mobile             : Disabled       perpetual

AnyConnect for Cisco VPN Phone    : Disabled       perpetual

Advanced Endpoint Assessment      : Disabled       perpetual

UC Phone Proxy Sessions           : 2              perpetual

Total UC Proxy Sessions           : 2              perpetual

Botnet Traffic Filter             : Disabled       perpetual

Intercompany Media Engine         : Disabled       perpetual

10GE I/O                          : Disabled       perpetual

Failover cluster licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces       : Unlimited      perpetual

Maximum VLANs                     : 1024           perpetual

Inside Hosts                      : Unlimited      perpetual

Failover                          : Active/Active  perpetual

VPN-DES                           : Enabled        perpetual

VPN-3DES-AES                      : Enabled        perpetual

Security Contexts                 : 4              perpetual

GTP/GPRS                          : Disabled       perpetual

AnyConnect Premium Peers          : 4              perpetual

AnyConnect Essentials             : Disabled       perpetual

Other VPN Peers                   : 10000          perpetual

Total VPN Peers                   : 10000          perpetual

Shared License                    : Disabled       perpetual

AnyConnect for Mobile             : Disabled       perpetual

AnyConnect for Cisco VPN Phone    : Disabled       perpetual

Advanced Endpoint Assessment      : Disabled       perpetual

UC Phone Proxy Sessions           : 4              perpetual

Total UC Proxy Sessions           : 4              perpetual

Botnet Traffic Filter             : Disabled       perpetual

Intercompany Media Engine         : Disabled       perpetual

10GE I/O                          : Disabled       perpetual

Though I still suggest confirming all these things from the people/company that youre acquiring the ASA(s) from so you get what youre asking for. Or someone from Cisco could confirm this on these forums.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card