Helpful
Replies

how to access cisco home lab remotely?

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

hi every body!

I have this issue:

my cisco lab is (6 routers and 2 switches) are connected to access server(2509)

i want to connect to my lab remotely. I want to telnet into access server then connect to routers,switches etc.

My problem is i am using link system switch which is connected to dsl modem for internet access,link system performing nat, allowing my computer and my mom computer to access internet simulatanously. If i connect access server( 2509) to one of port of link system switch, link system will assign the 2501 a private ip address.

Obvioulsy, i cant use this private address to telnet into access server.

Is there any way , i can telnet into 2501 server in this situation?

thanks alot !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

This is how I used to do,

- I have a Linux box with two interfaces.

eth0 - connected to my access server

eth1 - connected to my broadband router

- broadband router (Linksys W54G) - which allows me to configure port redirection to my Linux box eth1.

I configured by DSL modem in bridge mode and the Linksys W54G router to connect over pppoe.

So the public IP is assigned on the Linksys box.

myLaptop on Internet ->>> (SSH)- >>>((LinksysBox-publicIP)) >> forwarded to myLinuxBox on eth1 on port 22.

Now once I login into myLinux box I telnet into on the access server and work on my Cisco rack.

There are benefits of using the Linux box as I can restrict SSH to limited IP, allow/deny ip/ports using the IPtables FW also.

Hope this helps.

Dhananjoy

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

This is how I used to do,

- I have a Linux box with two interfaces.

eth0 - connected to my access server

eth1 - connected to my broadband router

- broadband router (Linksys W54G) - which allows me to configure port redirection to my Linux box eth1.

I configured by DSL modem in bridge mode and the Linksys W54G router to connect over pppoe.

So the public IP is assigned on the Linksys box.

myLaptop on Internet ->>> (SSH)- >>>((LinksysBox-publicIP)) >> forwarded to myLinuxBox on eth1 on port 22.

Now once I login into myLinux box I telnet into on the access server and work on my Cisco rack.

There are benefits of using the Linux box as I can restrict SSH to limited IP, allow/deny ip/ports using the IPtables FW also.

Hope this helps.

Dhananjoy

shridhar76
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Just contact with you ISP provider and configure the terminal server to connect your Router and Switches then use some terminal connect softwares then you can connect.

Shridhar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card