cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to allow SSH into Zone Based Firewall?

mramirez
Level 1
Level 1

I am stuck in trying to figure out on how to allow a ssh connection from the outside to the wan uplink on my firwall. I just recently converted to the zone based. I have tried adding all different types of ways but no luck. Can someone help me out?

Let's say I wanted to configure a specific ip address from the internet to access the router only thru ssh.

22 Replies 22

Does this also count for snmp because it seems that snmp is also blocked by default

Hi Fred,

I guess it depends if your using snmp in the inside or outside?

I'm trying to get it working from the outside. I wasn't able to connect with the Cisco 871 from the outside with ssh but that is functioning know due to your solution. I was wondering if this also the case with monitoring from the outside because we want to monitor customers remotely.

I will try it later on tonight and let you know. I am fairly new to Zone-Based Firewalls. I would think to follow the same concept of ssh as in th example above. Post your config and maybe Toshi can comment on it.

here is my config;

Hi Fred,

Outside zone to self has a class-default that denies everything there by default. Yes! we can change it. You need to configure what you want to allow on your policy-map(sdm-permit). It can be either "Inspect" or "Pass" when using ACL to match traffic you want. Keep in mind when using a "PASS" keyword you then need to allow from self to Outside zone as well. That's why we prefer "Inspect" as we did before.

HTH,

Toshi

Hi Toshi,

Should i then also alter the next;

class-map type inspect match-any access-to-router

match class-map SSH

policy-map type inspect sdm-permit

class type inspect access-to-router

inspect

class class-default

it is not clear to me what to configure.

Hi All

I had exactly the same issue with enabling just SSH accesss to the router for remote control.

Only passing ssh traffic worked, inspecting would not work at all ...because of the following error :

%Protocol ssh configured in class-map classSSH cannot be configured for the self  zone. Please remove the protocol and retry

we are talking about such a policy:

Policy Map type inspect policyOutsideToRouter
     Description: policy allowing  remote access to router
          Class classSSH
               Inspect
     Class class-default
     Drop  log

Can someone please explain why ssh traffic coming from WAN to self zone cannot be inspected, why it has to be passed ??

Thanks
Andrzej
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card