cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to reset and what's the ip of my asa 5510

lunkn0001
Level 1
Level 1
Hello! I got a problem, I've bought a cisco asa 5510 online, but now I don't understand how to log in to the device. So my questions are 1 how do I reset the device? 2 how do I log in to the device (what ip address for telnet, and what's the username and password?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9
Hi, Did seller factory default the 5510? What prompt do you get on the console output? You'll need to perform a password recovery if you can't access the device: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/79016/asa-password-recovery

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9
Hi, Did seller factory default the 5510? What prompt do you get on the console output? You'll need to perform a password recovery if you can't access the device: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/79016/asa-password-recovery

I suspect that he did not. I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 with putty. Super thanks!! //robin

John's procedure is the way to go. Work through the steps in that link and you'll be up and running in no time.

lunkn0001
Level 1
Level 1

When I use putty nothing shows up on the terminal, just a green cursor. Nothing else.

Is the asa supposed to have a CF-card at the back?  Because mine is empty.

Thank you all! //robin

Yes, it does have an external CF card. Try to chase the seller for it. It also should be loaded with an ASA image to be able to boot the device. Otherwise, you can download it from Cisco's download site (given you have contract or access to it).

If I get a cf-card can i "flash" it myself? I have cisco OS and ASDM on file.

The externally accessible cf card is disk1:. The one inside is disk0:.

Either can use a 3rd party CF card (although Cisco only supports their branded versions.). It needs to be FAT-16 formatted.

If the ASA won't get to and through POST and into rommon though, the CF card won't help. the CF card contents (boot image and configuration files etc.) come into play once power-on self test and rommon have passed and loaded.

Can you erase the internal cf-card from rommon/internal software? Maybe thats whats happend.

And if thats the case, should i try opening the device and "flash" a new image of the OS and ASDM onto the internal flash-card, given if its also an CF-card? And are you sure it will only work with CISCO cards?

Thank you guys for all help!

Verify that your console connection has the proper settings (9600-8-n-1). You should at least see the POST (power on self test) and get to the rommon prompt during a power-on. If you're not seeing that, then your console connection settings (or the cable) are most likely faulty. Be sure you are plugged into the console port.

There are two CF slots. The external one is disk1: and is not usually supplied. The internal one one disk0: and is included with all 5510s. The internal disk0: CF card is where your ASA software image is normally sotred.

I have the proper settings both in putty and in devicemanager.

Baud: 9600, databits: 8, parity: none, stopbit: 1, flow-control: none.

I dont see the POST nor rommon just a green cursor. And I cant type anything.

What serial software do you use?

What happens if i do a hardware reset? And can it be configured so i cant get access to it, at some security level option that the previous owner did?

What lights should be on on the backside of the device? All but flash is on.

Thank you so much for all help!! //Robin

Personally I use xShell, a commercial product. But I've used putty and SecureCRT as well on ASAs. (Maybe even hyperterm once or twice.)

When you boot from power on you should definitely see the POST results. Even if password-recovery is disabled, you can still get into rommon (on a working unit) and blow away the old configuration to recover.

A single unit in working order should have the power, status, and active lights all solid green. 

Should I try to connect with putty started before the asa, or should I start the asa first?

My also has the VPN-green-light active!

Thank you so much!

Connect your console cable and open your terminal session prior to power on. Log the output to a file so you can see exactly what happens during POST and boot.

=~=PuTTY log 2014.05.15 15:50:14 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Its all the log is giving me. Nothing else.

Is it possible that the consol-ports interface is disabled? And is it possible to reach it from the management-port?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card