Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to reset and what's the ip of my asa 5510

Hello! I got a problem, I've bought a cisco asa 5510 online, but now I don't understand how to log in to the device. So my questions are 1 how do I reset the device? 2 how do I log in to the device (what ip address for telnet, and what's the username and password?
  • Firewalling
Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Hi, Did seller factory default the 5510? What prompt do you get on the console output? You'll need to perform a password recovery if you can't access the device: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/79016/asa-password-recovery
15 REPLIES

Hi,

Hi, Did seller factory default the 5510? What prompt do you get on the console output? You'll need to perform a password recovery if you can't access the device: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/79016/asa-password-recovery

I suspect that he did not. Is

I suspect that he did not. I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 with putty. Super thanks!! //robin
Hall of Fame Super Silver

John's procedure is the way

John's procedure is the way to go. Work through the steps in that link and you'll be up and running in no time.

When I use putty nothing

When I use putty nothing shows up on the terminal, just a green cursor. Nothing else.

Is the asa supposed to have a CF-card at the back?  Because mine is empty.

Thank you all! //robin

Yes, it does have an external

Yes, it does have an external CF card. Try to chase the seller for it. It also should be loaded with an ASA image to be able to boot the device. Otherwise, you can download it from Cisco's download site (given you have contract or access to it).

If I get a cf-card can i

If I get a cf-card can i "flash" it myself? I have cisco OS and ASDM on file.

The externally accessible cf

The externally accessible cf card is disk1:. The one inside is disk0:.

Either can use a 3rd party CF card (although Cisco only supports their branded versions.). It needs to be FAT-16 formatted.

If the ASA won't get to and through POST and into rommon though, the CF card won't help. the CF card contents (boot image and configuration files etc.) come into play once power-on self test and rommon have passed and loaded.

Can you erase the internal cf

Can you erase the internal cf-card from rommon/internal software? Maybe thats whats happend.

And if thats the case, should i try opening the device and "flash" a new image of the OS and ASDM onto the internal flash-card, given if its also an CF-card? And are you sure it will only work with CISCO cards?

Thank you guys for all help!

Verify that your console

Verify that your console connection has the proper settings (9600-8-n-1). You should at least see the POST (power on self test) and get to the rommon prompt during a power-on. If you're not seeing that, then your console connection settings (or the cable) are most likely faulty. Be sure you are plugged into the console port.

There are two CF slots. The external one is disk1: and is not usually supplied. The internal one one disk0: and is included with all 5510s. The internal disk0: CF card is where your ASA software image is normally sotred.

Views
Helpful
Replies