Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade PIX 7.x without downtime

jong_r0602
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Please enlighten me how to do a "zero downtime upgrade" without rebooting my machine. Is there any other command that i need to issue other than "reload"?

Please help me.

Thanks,

Jong

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

noran01
Level 3
Level 3

There is no way to do this unless you have a fail-over unit configured. The downtime is very minimal when you reload (usually ~2 mins)

View solution in original post

To failover from the Primary PIX to the Secondary PIX without your sessions dropping, log onto the Secondary PIX and issue the command 'failover active'. If you do this via telnet your session will drop and you will need to log back in again.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

noran01
Level 3
Level 3

There is no way to do this unless you have a fail-over unit configured. The downtime is very minimal when you reload (usually ~2 mins)

like the previous poster said, you need a failover unit.

if you don't have one, and your company/business requires zero downtime (or something close), you really should invest in a second identical ASA device.

Thanks guys,

Yes i have a failover PIX but i thought that i can do a zero downtime without rebooting or without terminating my VPN tunnel's so now i now.

Thanks alot,

Jong

To failover from the Primary PIX to the Secondary PIX without your sessions dropping, log onto the Secondary PIX and issue the command 'failover active'. If you do this via telnet your session will drop and you will need to log back in again.

Thanks for your tip Darren,appreciate it! Problem resolved...

- jong

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card