Views
Helpful
Replies

Identifying Manual NAT in ASDM

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

Below is the screenshot from Cisco LEarning Website for ASA  Practice test.

Correct answer is Manual NAT polices .

Need to  know what should i look for in ASDM  that will tell me it is Manual NAT?

Regards

MAhesh

Message was edited by: mahesh parmar

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Well the first thing I notice in the picture is that the ASDM says in the middle "Network Object" NAT (No Rules)" which basically tells us that there are no Auto NAT / Network Object NAT configured.

We also know that there is only 2 different NAT Rule Types. Manual NAT and Auto NAT (Network Object NAT) and the ASDM already tells us there is no Auto NAT rules (above explanation) then we can conclude that what we are seeing is a Manual NAT rule.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is manual because the screenshot shows that there are no Network Object NAT rules. So the displayed NAT rule is of type #3 in the list below.

In ASA 8.3 or later there are 3 types of NAT rules you can add:

1. Manual NAT before Network-object NAT

2. Network-Object NAT (network-object NAT is also known as AutoNAT)

3. Manual NAT after Network-object NAT.

If you looked at the cli, it would have the keyword "after-auto" in the NAT rule.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There is no picture in your post. Atleast yet.

As soon as you can attach it I can take a look at it though ASDM is not my strong point as I rarely use it but I'd imagine I can answer this.

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

Sorry for that.

Screenshot is added now.

Regards

MAhesh

Hi,

Well the first thing I notice in the picture is that the ASDM says in the middle "Network Object" NAT (No Rules)" which basically tells us that there are no Auto NAT / Network Object NAT configured.

We also know that there is only 2 different NAT Rule Types. Manual NAT and Auto NAT (Network Object NAT) and the ASDM already tells us there is no Auto NAT rules (above explanation) then we can conclude that what we are seeing is a Manual NAT rule.

- Jouni

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is manual because the screenshot shows that there are no Network Object NAT rules. So the displayed NAT rule is of type #3 in the list below.

In ASA 8.3 or later there are 3 types of NAT rules you can add:

1. Manual NAT before Network-object NAT

2. Network-Object NAT (network-object NAT is also known as AutoNAT)

3. Manual NAT after Network-object NAT.

If you looked at the cli, it would have the keyword "after-auto" in the NAT rule.

Hi Jouni & Marvin,

Many thanks for sharing valuable info with me.

I can learn a lot from you.

Best Regards

MAhesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card