Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Identity firewall with Single Forest/Multi-Domain

I have a question with regard to setting up the ID firewall on the ASA 5585 in a single forest, multiple domain windows network.

Currently I have a semi-operational IDF at the top level but can't find users on the lower other domains, here is the setup:

I have 3 domains.

domain1.test.com

domain2.domain1.test.com

domain3.domain2.domain1.test.com

Both domains have a two way parent-child trust and I can look for users in AD Users/Computer on both domains.  I initially setup the ASA to look at domain1.test.com using an LDAP aaa-server per the IDF instructions, and then proceeded to configure the ad-agent.  I installed the adagent on the domain1.test.com domain controller configured the settings on that system and had no problem adding users to the firewall and getting functionality within domain1.  I looked to see if I could see domain 2 and domain 3 users and found none.  I went ahead and added the domain2 system to the adagent on the DC and the system says that it is up, but when I search for users is not pulling them from domain2.  Instead, it shows domain1 users as domain2\user1.  I also configured another adserver in the ASA to search ldap on domain 2 to no avail.

The cisco documentation states the following:

•Before you configure even a single domain controller machine using the adacfg dc create command, ensure that the AD Agent machine is first joined to a domain (for example, domain J) that has a trust relationship with each and every domain (for example, domain D[i]) that it will monitor for user authentications (through the domain controller machines that you will be configuring on the AD Agent machine).

Single Forest, Multiple Domains—All the domains in a single forest already have an inherent two-way trust relationship with each other. Thus, the AD Agent must first be joined to one of the domains, J, in this forest, with this domain J not necessarily being identical to any of the domains D[i] corresponding to the domain controller machines. Because of the inherent trust relationship between domain J and each of the domains D[i], there is no need to explicitly configure any trust relationships.

Reading that it sounds like it should just work.  I had everything properly configured before I installed the adagent, but I'm guessing that there is a chance that you can't have the adagent on the top level DC and get to communicate with the lower level domains.  I wanted to ask though before I blow everything up and start over.  The instructions are not overwhelming clear on what needs to done in this scenario.  Suggestions?

1 Reply 1

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Matthew,

If I understand your post correctly, the problem is that the ASA is unable to search users in domain2, correct? This portion of the communication is unrelated to the AD Agent, but it sounds like the Agent can talk to the DC just fine. The ASA searches for users directly on the DC via LDAP queries. The communication between the ASA and the Agent is all done via RADIUS.

If the above is correct, I would focus on why the LDAP queries are failing between the ASA and the domain2 DC. Feel free to open a TAC case on this as well for additional assistance from the AAA experts.

-Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: