Views
Helpful
Replies

Inactive ACL in ASA

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

On ASDM  i see few ACL that are greyed out and have line on them.

On CLI i see those ACL  with  inactive at then end.

Need to confirm why these ACL have inactive at then end?

Why they are greyed out in ASDM ?

Regards

MAhesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahesh,

Essentially the "inactive" means that the rule is configured on the ASA but its disabled and isnt used.

This is for example situation where you dont want to remove the ACL rule but just want to temporarily disable it.

The rule being greyed out in the ASDM means the same. Its present in the configurations but is disabled so the ASA should consider this rule when traffic is coming through the ASA.

I have not really configured any ACL rules as "inactive" myself. I tend to remove them completely and re-enter something if there is a need.

Here is the explanation of the parameter "inactive" from the ASA Command Reference

inactive      (Optional)    Disables an ACE. To reenable it, enter the entire ACE without

the inactive keyword. This feature lets you keep a record of an inactive

ACE in your configuration to make reenabling easier.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahesh,

Essentially the "inactive" means that the rule is configured on the ASA but its disabled and isnt used.

This is for example situation where you dont want to remove the ACL rule but just want to temporarily disable it.

The rule being greyed out in the ASDM means the same. Its present in the configurations but is disabled so the ASA should consider this rule when traffic is coming through the ASA.

I have not really configured any ACL rules as "inactive" myself. I tend to remove them completely and re-enter something if there is a need.

Here is the explanation of the parameter "inactive" from the ASA Command Reference

inactive      (Optional)    Disables an ACE. To reenable it, enter the entire ACE without

the inactive keyword. This feature lets you keep a record of an inactive

ACE in your configuration to make reenabling easier.

- Jouni

Many thanks Jonui

MAhesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card