cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbound ASA Traffic Failover

pootboy69
Level 1
Level 1

Our ASA5510 is dual-homed and directly connected to provider-controlled routers.  The primary ISP is 10 Mb fiber and the backup is a T3.  We've configured the outbound failover with SLA and that works fine.  What I'd like to know is how to ensure that our VPN clients (we have no access to their routers) can find our secondary ISP link when our primary link fails.  DNS is too slow and, therefore, unacceptable.  I'd considered pre-configuring a router with OSPF and providing it to them, but are there other options?  Thanx!

1 Reply 1

Michael Dombek
Level 1
Level 1

Just a wild configuration Idea (did not test it and i´m not sure if this is realy working)

You could provide for your VPN partner the second IP from your backup ISP and based on the VPN Keepalive settings the tunnel would be rebuild right after your partner router detected that the VPN line is down. Depending on the routers of your partners you could be able to tune this a bit by using SLAs.

But as mentioned not sure if this realy works (fast)

Cheers Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: