Views
Helpful
Replies

Incorrect boot image fix?

Rob Royse
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I mistakenly uploaded an incompatible image to a 5510 and set it to boot from it. I left the prior image in place and it is still on the flash.

As a result, it is now in a boot loop. Can I fix this from ROMMON mode without using TFTP or is that my only option?

Or, could I mount the CF card in a PC and just delete the invalid image from the flash card. Would the ASA then boot from the only image remaining on the card?

Thanks, please advise.

5 Replies 5

pantelis1
Level 1
Level 1

The cisco recommended way is the TFTP one. My understanding is that  If disk0 does not have a valid image, the boot loader will not look for an image in disk1 - since the presence of disk1 is not mandatory 

jhhutchison
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think defaulting the choice it will prompt you with. I have the same issue and it looks like the main problem is my inability to get syntax for ROMMON version 1.0(12)13 specifically on the boot and file commands. Both of these should theoretically give me access to any of the the three usb ports I have for image grabbing.....goodluck.

Point me towards the ROMMON config guide please.

The rommon commands for image recovery are within the link I provided above.  I know of no other commands for doing this...So, I did a search for any other rommon command just to be sure but found none.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

I believe the only way to recover the image is by using the TFTP server via ROMMON.  This is a good link on how to do it...if you need it.

http://www.cisco.com/public/technotes/smbsa/en/us/remote/5500_image_rcvry.pdf

--

--

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Royse,

By the way have you configured boot system disk0:/<Image Name> on the ASA for both the Software versions???? or you have deleted that???

Regards

Karthik

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card