Views
Helpful
Replies

ingress interface in packet trace

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I was just curious to know what exactly qualifies as the input interface in a packet trace statement.

Eg. ASA has two interfaces, Local & Outside. If the requirement is to ping from node on Local interface to one on the outside, what interface should be used as input interface...Local Or Outside?

Does it take the first interface the traffic hits from the direction as the ingress or to the interface it is destined?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi again,

The "input" interface is always the interface from which the packet is coming from.

So if you had "inside" and "outside" interfaces and you wanted to simulate a user behind the "inside" initiating a web browser connection to the Internet then the input interface would be "inside" since that is where the packet would be entering the ASA

packet-tracer input inside tcp

PS. I think I still havent answered some other discussion we had (traffic between network segments through ASA). Will try to have a look at it at some point. I have had something like 8 hours sleep in the span of 72 hours so I am pretty tired. Thanks to maintanance breaks

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi again,

The "input" interface is always the interface from which the packet is coming from.

So if you had "inside" and "outside" interfaces and you wanted to simulate a user behind the "inside" initiating a web browser connection to the Internet then the input interface would be "inside" since that is where the packet would be entering the ASA

packet-tracer input inside tcp

PS. I think I still havent answered some other discussion we had (traffic between network segments through ASA). Will try to have a look at it at some point. I have had something like 8 hours sleep in the span of 72 hours so I am pretty tired. Thanks to maintanance breaks

- Jouni

Thanks Jouni.

I've already rated the other discussion as answered, i just followed your posts & tried this today. it works fine.

Thank you & truly appreciate your help.

Have a good sleep!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card