cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet link failover

adcorbett_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I have a PIX 515 in which I have a T1 line that I use for my internet access. I just added a new line and here is what I want to do:

Take the internet traffic off the old line (a.a.a.a) and put it to the new line (b.b.b.b).

Use the old line as a failover for the new.

Now I thought it was as easy as this:

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 b.b.b.b 1

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.a.a.a 2

Thinking the high metric for new line would work unless it was down, and then traffic would go out the old line again.

I am a noob with PIX, so let me know what I am doing wrong.

17 Replies 17

Have you tried to ping past the router from your desk.

ping 4.2.2.2

then trace to it and make sure its going out your outside ip address. Alos go to www.network-tools.com and verify the IP. I need know that result. It looks like everything is there.

I had a continuous ping going to google while I made the change and it dropped as soon as I added the route Internet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 b.b.b.3 1 command. I had to revert to the original config and have to refrain from testing here for a while - the office is getting ticked off at me. I will tackle this again tonight. I am thinking a restart of the dlink and pix.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card