cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intra-interface traffic failing

clark-computers
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a problem with traffic traversing the ASA on the same interface. I'll explain my configuration/setup, and then the symptoms.

I have configured my ASA 5505 with the inside interface having an IP on the internal data VLAN (VLAN 1, security level 100). It is the data VLAN's default gateway. EIGRP has populated the routing table of the ASA with the ISR that routes traffic to and from the Voice VLAN (the ISR has one interface IP on the Data VLAN and another on the Voice VLAN). I've allowed intra-interface routing on the ASA with the "same-security-traffic permit intra-interface" command, exempted NAT between the two networks on the inbound interface and setup an access rule allowing both networks access to one another.

The result is as follows:

Voice VLAN devices are able to access any resource on the data VLAN successfully. However, only ICMP works when devices on the data VLAN try to access a resource on the Voice VLAN: when I try to use telnet or http, the TCP sequence is as follows (according the Wireshark):

1. Data device sends SYN frame to Voice device. This is sent to the ASA (TCP connection built and permitted)

2. ASA forwards frame to the ISR.

3. Voice device receives the SYN and responds with SYN/ACK. This is sent to the ISR.

4. Because the ISR has an interface on the data VLAN, it is forwarded to the Data device.

5. Data device receives an ACK, but is convinced that this is an ACK for a lost segment.

6. RST sent from Data device to Voice device.

7. ASA successfully tears-down the connection due to RESET-O flag.

8. Voice device receives RST and sends SYN/ACK.

9. Data device receives SYN/ACK successfully.

I have ran this through the ASA's Packet Tracer for ICMP, TCP23 and TCP80, and it is successful each time.

What am I missing here?

Stu

24 Replies 24

try adding:-

access-list inside_access_in extended permit ip object-group net_Data-LAN object-group net_Voice-LAN log

access-list inside_access_in extended permit ip object-group net_Voice-LAN object-group net_Data-LAN log

access-list inside_access_in extended deny ip any any log

Then test again - and check the logs.

HTH>

Sorry mate, I'm afraid it's exactly the same!

I tried a telnet from a data device to a voice device and the ASA reports that:

1. The traffic matches a permit access-list (the one in your last post) from Data device to Voice device (both on inside interface).

2. Builds inbound TCP connection from Data to Voice (both on inside).

3. Immediately tears-down the TCP connection with the reason 'Reset-O'.

4. Denies TCP (no connection) from Data to Voice with with RST flag on inside interface.

The Data device tries to connect three times before failing. The source port on each attempt is the same and the TCP connection ID on each attempt is different.

Stu

mmmmm interesting, I am going to take this into the lab - any chance you can send a network diagram with full IP's so I can simulate the issue? Also what version of IOS are you running?

The ASA version is asa804-k8.bin with the Security Plus license.

Is your forum username also your email address?

Stu

OK cool.

Yes it is - drop me an email.

From your message above:

2) If you have an internal router that is a neighbour of the ASA - then why is that device not doing the routing?

I have spoken to my infrastructure manager and making the change to do internal routing through the ISR is acceptible to him. I have tested it and it resolves this issue. Would you still like to setup the lab, or are you happy for me to resolve this thread?

I would still be interested to take this into the lab and figure out why it did not work - it has gotten my attention.

if you are satisfied - close the thread, if I find the solution or a solution I will post the results to the closed thread anyway.

Sorry to jump in, but did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same problem with an ASA 5505 in the same type of layout.

Pings work perfectly, but not TCP traffic. TCP fails with the same reset-o.

In my case, unlike Stu, I can't make any changes to the neighbor router (it's locked down by a vendor and they won't make changes).

So if a solution exists, I would be very grateful.

I never recevied the config/topology of the original network to take into the lab.

If you want to send your (sanitised) then I will take it into the lab and have a look.

Here you go (sorry for the lack of visio). I've also attached a tcpdump showing successful ping and unsuccessful TCP.

As is, both computers can ping each other without problems. But any TCP connection between computers will fail.

I did some network sniffing from the computers and the ASA 5505:

1. When the 192.168.1.5 computer sends a ping to 192.168.71.20, the packet gets sent to the ASA. The ASA then forwards it to the 192.168.1.10 router. The router then sends it out the 192.168.71.1 interface to the 192.168.71.20 computer.

The 192.168.71.20 computer replies to the ping, sending its reply to the router at 192.168.71.1. The router then sends it out the 192.168.1.10 interface to the 192.168.1.5 computer.

The ASA does not see the return traffic from 192.168.71.20 to 192.168.1.5, but that doesn't matter.

2. For TCP connections from the 192.168.1.5 computer to the 192.168.71.20 computer, the same pathway is used, but the SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK isn't established.

The SYN is sent from the 192.168.1.5 computer to the ASA 5505, which then forwards to the 192.168.1.10 router, which then forwards to the 192.168.71.20 computer, which then replies.

But the SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK is getting scrambled (I believe by the ASA).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card