cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ip Range

netperception
Level 1
Level 1

Say I have a network object group object in my firewall, and I wish to add in not just an IP but a range of IP's. 12.12.12.1 to like 12.12.12.10? I hope I am doing this wrong by entering in 10 ips vs just a range of some sort.

Chuck

5 Replies 5

Chuck

To enter a range of addresses you can use the appropriate network mask to keep the number of network objects required to a minimum.

In your scenario this can be done with 3 network objects rather than 10 host network objects like this.

object-group network TEST

network-object 12.12.12.0 255.255.255.248

network-object 12.12.12.8 255.255.255.254

network-object host 12.12.12.10

HTH

Sundar

How do you go from 0 to 8 to 10? And then even choose the net mask from 248 to 254? I'm trying to figure a pattern to so I can replicate this into more ranges. I can read relative links. Like say I'd block a whole range. 10.1.1.*

248 indicates the first 5 bits of the 3rd octet need to match but it doesn't care about the last 3 bits (address range of 0-7). A quick search on Netpro should find lot of useful links on subnetting. Here's one I found on google that may find helpful.

http://www.timothytuohy.com/subnetting_101.htm

HTH

Sundar

Thanks Sundar,

I will continue to read this article. I still don't fully understand sub netting but maybe can you tell me how to block this range 200.63.42.* and it may bring my understanding closer.

I want to block these bastard IP's from a Panama set of servers that is abusive. This example I would like to block 200.63.42.* basically everyone in that range.

Too bad there wasn't a Cisco website tool like http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/IpSubnet/home.pl that we could enter a desired range and have it calculate it. That would be perfect while reading your article as I read theory but sometimes (like this time) need to exercise correct and incorrect'ed'ness to help reinforce understanding.

Got more articles? I tried searching netpro but got lots of unrelated articles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: