cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is my ASA 5505 dead

jimmahoney99
Level 1
Level 1

It was working fine with no recent changes. I go to turn it on and it won't boot. i get this error

i2c_write_byte_w_suspend() error, slot = 0x0, device = 0x64, address = 128 byte

count = 1. Reason: I2C_UNPOPULATED_ERROR

esw_init_startup_info(): Unable to obtain device info..

I can get to rommon i try setting up an ip inorder to TFTP an image to it but the ethernet ports won't initalize.

I've reseated the memory, the compact flash. I even pulled the battery and let it sit for a while.

It's just over a year. and i've got over $800 sunk into it.  is this thing dead or what

13 Replies 13

rmavila
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It looks like you are having a defective PIC device (0x64). It reported i2c error and failed to upgrade the pic. something related to the PIC.

Regards,

Rahul

So Is this thing dead. how do recover from this. also what does PIC stand for ?

Jim, if it is covered under a smartnet contract it would be best to open a TAC case in the interest of RMAing it. - Magnus

Posted from my mobile device.

I don't beleive it is covered under smartnet. I bought it through amazon over a year ago. it's for home use .

just a heads up.

If you get this error (from the orignal post). it means the flash is corrupt and needs to be RMA'ed

Hi,

I had a similar problem with folowing error on ASA5505:

i2c_write_byte_w_suspend() error, slot = 0x0, device = 0x40, address = 26 byte count = 1. Reason: I2C_UNPOPULATED_ERROR

this ASA isn't covered anymore by a contract and I like to rebirth it for home use. Do you know wich device is concerned by the 0x40 I2C's ID?

I locate the PIC18LF2220-I/SO on the motherboard. Is replacing it will solve the problem (is the PIC program will be re-flashed by the main software)?

rgds,

Jerome

I have found this error reported many times. I have the same error and failure to boot. Have you been able to repair your ASA 5505? Have you any additional information?

Thanks,

steve

Hi,

DId you get anywhere with this? I have found this error reported many times. I have the same error  and failure to boot. Have you been able to repair your ASA 5505? Have  you any additional information?

Thanks,

steve

I had to ship it back to cisco for a replacement. i bought a 1 year smartnet contract for it. Mine used to run very hot so i think something got burnt out. I took the cover off the new one to give it more airflow since it does not have a fan. everything has been running good since

larsduun2
Level 1
Level 1

Just got my ASA5505 fully configured 2 days work and after power off/on do I have exactly the same error - this is the second time I see this error out of the 20 ASA boxes so the boxes does not seem to be matching the high price :-(

/Lars

Timothy Chan
Level 1
Level 1

Got this error today also

i2c_write_byte_w_suspend() error, slot = 0x0, device = 0x40, address = 26 byte count = 1. Reason: I2C_UNPOPULATED_ERROR

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.2(5)

Got this same problem once. For persons getting this error the box needs to be RMA'd. If it is covered by smartnet please raise a TAC case as soon as possible.

Joel _______________________________ Please rate helpful posts and answered questions!

v.oboukhovitch
Level 1
Level 1

It is PoE controller ltc4259a (Linear Technology) failed.

Change chip and go.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: