Views
Helpful
Replies

Loadsharing in FWSM

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Friends,

I have a FWSM configured with 2 static routes with same next-hop gateway address as below

route OUTSIDE 201.1.1.100 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.1

route OUTSIDE 201.1.1.200 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.1

Will the FWSM do per-packet / per-destination Load Balancing, as the Cisco IOS Router do?

Thanks in advance

SAIRAM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes - if you had two routes to the same network via different gateway - although it's not exactly equal distribution. Your example has static routes to TWO different destinations using the same gateway. In that case it always uses that gateway for either of those networks (and whatever default gateway you have for anything else).

Please refer to the FWSM Configuration guide here. It states (emphasis added is mine):

You can define up to three equal cost routes to the same destination per interface. ECMP is not supported across multiple interfaces. With ECMP, the traffic is not necessarily divided evenly between the routes; traffic is distributed among the specified gateways based on an algorithm that hashes the source and destination IP addresses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Friends,

Can anybody help me on this

SAIRAM

Yes - if you had two routes to the same network via different gateway - although it's not exactly equal distribution. Your example has static routes to TWO different destinations using the same gateway. In that case it always uses that gateway for either of those networks (and whatever default gateway you have for anything else).

Please refer to the FWSM Configuration guide here. It states (emphasis added is mine):

You can define up to three equal cost routes to the same destination per interface. ECMP is not supported across multiple interfaces. With ECMP, the traffic is not necessarily divided evenly between the routes; traffic is distributed among the specified gateways based on an algorithm that hashes the source and destination IP addresses.

Thank you very much sir

regards,

SAIRAM

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card