Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Looking for Clarification on ASA 5510 Interface Identification and Speed Question

Hello,

I have an ASA 5510 with the security plus module to provide Gig speed on our interfaces.  We are migrating from a Pix 515E and I have the Pix-To-ASA Migration tool to assist.  What is confusing to me is looking at the ASA in a factory configurtion, the interfaces all display as Ethernet0/0-Ethernet0/3.  I would've thought these interfaces labels would be GigabitEthernet0/0-GigabitEthernet0/3?  We have the latest software loaded (asa843-k8.bin/asdm-647.bin).

When I run a show int e0/0 it displays:  Interface Ethernet0/0 "", is up, line protocol is up Hadware is i82546GB rev03, BW 1000 Mbps

Was there some change in the software that removed the Gigabit and now just calls all the interfaces Ethernet?

Looking at the hardware interface properties via ASDM shows Auto, 10, 100, 1000 as optoins with regard to speed.

Just trying to make sure something isn't wrong with the ASA before I fully configure the device.

Thank you,

Matt

Everyone's tags (1)
2 REPLIES
Red

Looking for Clarification on ASA 5510 Interface Identification a

Hi Matt,

With security plus license on the ASA 5510, you would have eth0/0 and eth0/1 as gig ports. Although the Ethernet 0/0 and 0/1 ports are Gigabit Ethernet, they are still identified as "Ethernet" in the software.

This license document would make it clear for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/license/license82.html#wp190062

Hope this is the info you were looking for.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks, Varun Rao Security Team, Cisco TAC

Looking for Clarification on ASA 5510 Interface Identification a

Thank you.  I was pretty sure and verfied we do have the Security Plus License.  Was just confusing since I thought it might change the interface names for e0/0 and e0/1 to GigabitEthernet.  Oh well, just have to remember it is only those two interfaces.  Would be nice if all 4 were able to be used as Gig or at least 3 of the 4 (inside, outside, dmz).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content