Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory utilization in ASA 5520

nagabhushana.k
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two Cisco ASA 5520 firewalls (Active/Standby) running with software version 8.0.4.32 version and ASDM version 6.0(3).

I have encountered a problem while changing configuration using ASDM. The screenshot of the error has been attached.

So, I have issued some commands to see the memory utilization on firewalls. Outputs suggest that used memory is 99%. Finally took output of commands show run threat-detection, show run all threat-detection & show processes memory. All these commands outputs are also attached.

Is upgrade of memory the only solution in this situation or any other workaround possible (like clearing threat-detection)?

If all threat detections are cleared, will it affect normal working of firewall adversly?

Thanks & Regards,

Bhushan

1 Reply 1

Parminder Sian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bhushan,

The threat detection feature consists of different levels of statistics gathering for various threats, as well as scanning threat detection, which determines when a host is performing a scan. Turn off this feature to consume less memory.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008009491c.shtml#memory

I guess your best bet is to get more memory or turn off this feature.

NOTE:- Normal operation of firewall wont be hampered If you turn off this feature.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Parminder Sian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card