cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from PIX 515s to ASA5510s

johndennison
Level 1
Level 1

I'm going to be implementing a new pair of 5510s as replacements for our 515s. The 515s are running 7.1(2). The ASAs came with 7.0(6) but I'll be upgrading those to a release higher than our PIXs before I implement them.

We use failover, remote-access VPNs, VLANs, syslog, and OSPF. I'm aware of the failover difference (we currently use the serial cable on the PIXs), but I'd like to know if there are any other gotchas that someone can give me a heads up on. I'd planned on just migrating most of the config as opposed to creating a new one on the ASAs from scratch. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello John,

1- You can use the management interface as the heart beat (Failover) interface between the ASA. This is if you have the license to use the management interface as normal interface.

2- Since the 515s are running 7.1.2 then you saved yourself 90% of the issues because 7.1.2 is pretty ASA IOS and the major difference is that ASA supports CSC and IPS modules and SSL VPN.

Therefore, in my opinion your are on the safe side and you migration should go smoothly,

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card