Views
Helpful
Replies

MS SQL via PIX Firewall

gary.sherry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have tried to set up access from a Web Server in a Web DMZ to a SQL Server sitting in a SQL DMZ. Initially I thought that all I need to do was setup a static from teh web server say static (inside, outside) 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.1 0 0 and the set an ACE for permit host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 (SQL Server) eq 1433 but this doesn't see to be working.

I've read some stuff on the MS site and it appears that MS SQL uses dynamic ports and need a whole load open for communincation. I wondered if anyone could provide an example using 1.1.1.1 for the web server and 2.2.2.2 for the sql server showing what needs setting up to get this working. The SQL Server is behind the inside interface and the wb server is behidn the outside interface.

2 Replies 2

Thanks for the info, I found some MS KB docs that mentioned this. Bit rubbish on MS's part really but you can lock it down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card