Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple default routes at Cisco ASA

Rizwan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have Cisco ASA 5515-X firewall with dual WAN connections. I have two default routes one for primary and one for backup with tracking feature enabled and PAT. When primary connection went down backup works with PAT. I also have two Public IP pools from both WAN links. I want to configure static NAT of my servers with  Public IP addresses from both WAN pools simultaneously. But static NAT is working with primary link only, is it due to default route? because ASA accept only one default route with single metric? Is there any solution to make static nat work from both links at a time?

5 Replies 5

But static NAT is working with primary link only, is it due to default route? because ASA accept only one default route with single metric?

Yes, this is the issue.

To my understanding there is no work around unless you are able to specify the destination subnets manually in your routing table.  then you could split it so that half go through one interface and the other half go through the second interface.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

I have following routes but only 1 can work at a time. Can you send me configuration how to add manual routes pointing to specific destinations ? 

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 202.x.x.x 1 track 1
route backup 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 125.x.x.x 254

it is just like the default route configuration except you dont use 0's but specify a specific subnet:

route backup 1.2.3.0 255.255.255.0 125.x.x.x

--

--

I want to send traffic to any destination from both interfaces. Is it possible?

That is not possible.  In that case you would be better off putting a router infront of the ASA to handle routing between the two ISP connections

--

--
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card