cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SNMP community strings possible on ASA ?

Hello Guys - We are monitoring our client's ASA firewalls (various 7.x versions) using snmp v2 configuration.

Our monitoring servers are sitting behind management interface of devices.

A new requirement has come up where another company will need to monitor these devices and hence needs their monitoring servers to be configured for SNMP on these devices.

A simple way to do this could be just use same snmp community string for adding their devices and share the string with them.

What I am looking to check is whether this its possible to have a new community string configured for their servers while our current servers and their config on FW remains intact?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure, just specify their unique community string when you add their management station as an authorized SNMP system. See Step 6 here.

You could also require them to use SNMPv3 with unique authentication and encryption passwords.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure, just specify their unique community string when you add their management station as an authorized SNMP system. See Step 6 here.

You could also require them to use SNMPv3 with unique authentication and encryption passwords.

Cheers Marvin.

Just had a look on the article and point 6. We have a community string (masked) written in Community String (Default) so as per the link you gave me - If I chose a new string while adding a new snmp server of that company - ASA will consider that string and not the one which is in Community String (Default). Please confirm.

Another thing - I discovered that version 7.2 doesn't support snmp v3. Is that correct ?

Hello Deepak,

Yes, that's how I understand it. I don't have one handy at the moment to test this behaviour but that is my understanding of the documentation.

SNMP v3 support was introduced in ASA software version 8.2(1). Reference.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card