Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT/PAT Configuration on ASA

Scott Cannon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have an ASA 5510 running OS image 7.0 (6). I am trying to understand how NAT/PAT works on these boxes.

I have a subnet, 10.0.0.0/24 that access a DMZ (eg. subnet 2.0.0.0/24). When accessing this DMZ I do not want any translation to occur. How do I configure this in the ASA?

I notice a line similar to the following already in place:

static (inside, DMZ) 10.0.0.0 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

My question is, doesnt this just PAT everything to 10.0.0.0?

Thanks

Rgds

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The following line:

basically means that no translation will occur for the whole 10.0.0.0/24 network. It's 1:1 NAT to itself, which essentially is no translation as the local and translated subnet in the above static statement is the same.

Inside network can access DMZ network, and vice versa without any translation. From DMZ network to access the inside network, if DMZ interface security level is lower than inside interface, you would need to configure access-list to allow/permit the traffic to be initiated from the DMZ network.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The following line:

basically means that no translation will occur for the whole 10.0.0.0/24 network. It's 1:1 NAT to itself, which essentially is no translation as the local and translated subnet in the above static statement is the same.

Inside network can access DMZ network, and vice versa without any translation. From DMZ network to access the inside network, if DMZ interface security level is lower than inside interface, you would need to configure access-list to allow/permit the traffic to be initiated from the DMZ network.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: