Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

NAT RPF Drop Why??

I have a pair of Cisco Anyconnect phones that can't seem to route traffic over the vpn to each other. I get a NAT RPF-Drop. I had to put a manual NAT in for section 1 to prevent the source translation to outside IP. The interfaces seem to match up. The NAT should be bidirectional. I don't get it.

Code is 8.3(2).

14 REPLIES
Super Bronze

NAT RPF Drop Why??

Hi,

What is the purpose of the "nat" configuration that the reverse check of NAT is hitting?

Seems that the first rule hit is somekind of general NAT0 rule for all the VPN Pools perhaps and the other one is a more specific one perhaps?

Is there a possibility of perhaps temporarily removing the "nat" configuration in the "rpf-check" IF that VPN network is also included in the "nat" configuration matched first?

I would also imagine that the first matched Manual NAT rule for this VPN traffic should be matched on both direction. So this might be a bug.

- Jouni

Re: NAT RPF Drop Why??

Seems that the first rule hit is somekind of general NAT0 rule for all  the VPN Pools perhaps and the other one is a more specific one perhaps?

Are you talking about the VPN process?

Phase: 4
Type: VPN
Subtype: ipsec-tunnel-flow
Result: ALLOW
Config:
Additional Information:
Forward Flow based lookup yields rule:
in  id=0x286ca438, priority=13, domain=ipsec-tunnel-flow, deny=true
        hits=75872441, user_data=0x0, cs_id=0x0, flags=0x0, protocol=0
        src ip/id=0.0.0.0, mask=0.0.0.0, port=0
        dst ip/id=0.0.0.0, mask=0.0.0.0, port=0, dscp=0x0
        input_ifc=outside, output_ifc=any

Does this "domain=ipsec-tunnel-flow, deny=true" mean that I've denied the VPN process? Is that the problem?

This is how it was processing packets prior to the manual NAT:

It still dies with RPF-Drop. I assumed the reason this broke was the translation to the external IP.

packet-tracer input outside udp 192.168.22.22 sip 192.168.22.30 sip

Phase: 1
Type: ACCESS-LIST
Subtype: log
Config:
access-group in-inet in interface outside
access-list in-inet extended permit ip 192.168.22.0 255.255.255.0 any log debugging
Additional Information:

Phase: 2
Type: IP-OPTIONS
Subtype:
Config:
Additional Information:

Phase: 3
Type: FOVER
Subtype: standby-update
Config:
Additional Information:

Config:
Additional Information:

Phase: 5
Type: NAT
Subtype:
Config:
object network obj-192.168.22.0
nat (outside,outside) dynamic interface
Additional Information:
Dynamic translate 192.168.22.22/5060 to x.x.23.10/27750

Phase: 6
Subtype: rpf-check
Result: DROP
Config:
Additional Information:

Result:
input-interface: outside
input-status: up
input-line-status: up
Action: drop
Drop-reason: (acl-drop) Flow is denied by configured rule

PHX5500/pri/act# packet-tracer input outside udp 172.31.2.22 sip 172.31.2.30 sip

Phase: 1

Type: ACCESS-LIST

Subtype: log

Config:

access-group in-inet in interface outside

access-list in-inet extended permit ip 172.31.2.0 255.255.255.0 any log debugging

Additional Information:

Phase: 2

Type: IP-OPTIONS

Subtype:

Config:

Additional Information:

Phase: 3

Type: FOVER

Subtype: standby-update

Config:

Additional Information:

Config:

Additional Information:

Phase: 5

Subtype:

Config:

object network obj-172.31.2.0

Additional Information:

Dynamic translate 172.31.2.22/5060 to 63.175.23.10/27750

Phase: 6

Subtype: rpf-check

Result: DROP

Config:

object network obj-172.31.2.0

Additional Information:

Result:

input-interface: outside

input-status: up

input-line-status: up

Action: drop

Drop-reason: (acl-drop) Flow is denied by configured rule

Hello,

Do you have any other NAT statement (outside,something)? Otherwise this nat will not be required.

Do you have the same-security-traffic command?

Do you have any split-tunnel-policy? If yes, are you allowing the Anyconnect Pool subnet IP address?

Check my blog at http:laguiadelnetworking.com for further information.

Cheers,

Julio Carvajal Segura

Looking for some Networking Assistance? Contact me directly at jcarvaja@laguiadelnetworking.com I will fix your problem ASAP. Cheers, Julio Carvajal Segura http://laguiadelnetworking.com

NAT RPF Drop Why??

Do you have any other NAT statement (outside,something)? Otherwise this nat will not be required.

Yes. Nothing in the Manual NAT Section 1, though.

Do you have the same-security-traffic command?

Yes. same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

Do you have any split-tunnel-policy? If yes, are you allowing the Anyconnect Pool subnet IP address?

Nope. Tunnellall

NAT RPF Drop Why??

Hello,

Okey can you share show run nat

Cheers,

Julio Carvajal Segura

Looking for some Networking Assistance? Contact me directly at jcarvaja@laguiadelnetworking.com I will fix your problem ASAP. Cheers, Julio Carvajal Segura http://laguiadelnetworking.com
Super Bronze

NAT RPF Drop Why??

Hi,

I am not sure what that indicates. I have yet to see a Cisco document that would explain all the output. Especially since not all of the output give any explanation about what blocks some traffic.

What I just noticed in the "packet-tracer" output that you attached in the original post was that there was a mention of 2 different NAT rules

This (first match)

nat (outside,outside) source static VPN_basepool1 VPN_basepool1 destination static VPN_basepool1 VPN_basepool1 description Exempt VPN to VPN NAT

And this (rpf-check drop)

nat (outside,outside) source static VPN_pool VPN_pool destination static VPN_pool VPN_pool

So my question was mainly that is there a need for both of these?

Although I am not quite clear why it would match 2 different rules in this case I was wondering if the rule on which this traffic dropped was needed at all?

- Jouni

NAT RPF Drop Why??

There is one statement. Sorry for the confusion.

I did see this.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCti90197

I don't think it applies to this specific case.

Here is a sanitized sh run nat.

Super Bronze

NAT RPF Drop Why??

Hi,

You could always try to move the Manual NAT rule to the very top of the NAT configurations in Section 1 and see if it makes any difference

no nat (outside,outside) source static VPN_basepool1 VPN_basepool1 destination static VPN_basepool1 VPN_basepool1 description Exempt VPN to VPN NAT

nat (outside,outside) 1 source static VPN_basepool1 VPN_basepool1 destination static VPN_basepool1 VPN_basepool1 description Exempt VPN to VPN NAT

Or if this is indeed some bug then perhaps updating the ASA to 8.4(x) or 9.x software level

- Jouni

NAT RPF Drop Why??

Packet-tracer showing this:

hase: 5

Subtype:

Config:

Additional Information:

Dynamic translate 192.168.22.22/5060 to x.x.23.10/27750

There is no

On the configuration you sent me, did you remove that?

Cheers,

Julio Carvajal Segura

Yes. I tried it both ways with the dynamic nat to the interface and the manual outside/outside and with just the outside/outside manual nat. Currently there is no dynamic nat in place.

Hello,

Hmm and what does the packet-tracer shows without the object nat?

Cheers,

Julio Carvajal Segura

NAT RPF Drop Why??

I actually labbed this up this morning and here's what I found.

1) Running a verbatim config using 8.4(5) the nat worked properly and passed the traffic through the packet-tracer.

2) Running a verbatim config using 8.3(2) (same as the troubled firewall). I had similar results with the packet-tracer breaking communications.

3) Running a verbatim config using 8.3(2). I switched the nat statement to the very top  of the manual nat

(as JouniForss suggested), and it worked.

4) Running a verbatim config using 8.3(2). I turned off all nat for the vpn pool (as jcarvaja suggested) and the connection worked.

Super Bronze

NAT RPF Drop Why??

Hi,

I think the software version 8.3(1) and 8.3(2) are not very commonly used.

I only installed one firewall with such software at the begging when this new NAT format was introduced and after that every firewall were running some version of 8.4 and they had no problems.

So I have not faced this kind of problem before.

Seems there is some wierdnes or bug going on with the 8.3(2) software perhaps and I would imagine it would be better to move to even some 8.4(x) software as there are no huge changes. I think there might be some minor VPN related configuration format changes betweem 8.3 and 8.4 but nothing that considerable.

I guess there was some problem with the NAT ordering since just moving the rule to the top somehow corrected this situation even though it seemed to me that this should have been matched even without this.

So did you remove all NAT including the Dynamic PAT for Internet access for VPN clients and it worked? If so I guess this is how the new softwares work. If you have no matching NAT configurations for traffic in either direction, the traffic can go through without NAT as there is no "nat-control" in the ASA anymore.

Please do mark the correct replys if you feel they answered your question.

Or ask more if needed.

- Jouni

Views
Helpful
Replies