Views
Helpful
Replies

Need recommendation on ASA model for new remote office

Shannon Sutter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am in the process of re-configuring one of our corporate offices and would like some advise on the firewall piece.

Currently this office is running on a metro Ethernet connection connected to our main location (NOC).

We are getting rid of MoE and installing a faster ISP connection (Internet cable provider).

I've been researching on firewall equipment for this office to enhance security over the WAN and like the next Gen ASAs idea.

The future setup is to have the remote office connected via L2L VPN tunnel for local traffic and all the rest of www traffic out the ISP. 

This office have 20 users running Cisco phones.

If I go with the next Gen ASA 5515-X do I need to purchase a CX license? I want to make sure the new ASA can secure the inside hosts exposed to www.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions,

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 5515-X is s solid firewall for a branch office. In addition to the NGFW features represented with the CX module (AVC, WSE and optionally IPS)  you also  now have the option of choosing a FirePOWER module with the technology acquired by Cisco in last year's acquisition of SourceFire. Here's a link to the product page for that.

Either approach gives you the NGFW feature set you need to protect against current and emerging threats. Some people argue that the FirePOWER technology has a better track record than the CX-based products (even though both have the benefit of Cisco's backing).

Either approach requires you buy a license to use the module-based (CX- or SFR-) services.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card