cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New 5520 internet connection seems slow, suggestions ?

wsahaydak
Level 1
Level 1

we are new to the Cisco world, just set up our first ASA 5520 a couple weeks ago replacing another brand. Everything is fine except the internet connection seems to be slow. We tested outside the ASA and it was fine so it appears the ASA is the issue. Any suggestions on some common areas/settings we should check ?

3 Replies 3

varakantam
Level 1
Level 1

What is your traffic profile like ? If you are do not need protocol inspections disable them.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. However I did find the issue, our ISP has their router set to half duplex so we were getting a bunch of errors, set the outside interface to match it and away we went, speed way up.

Wait, so the ISP left their router interface at half-duplex and you set the ASA's outside interface to half-duplex as well?

You might have gotten rid of the errors (no more collisions due to one side talking Full and the other only half) but you've also just limited yourself to "one way" communication between the two devices.

Maybe I misunderstood your post (sorry if I did.) FWIW, the only time I 'allow' a half-duplex connection in my environment is for old HP printer Jet-Direct NICs that only do 10Mbps half duplex. Side note: If you go into regular switchports and do a "show int status" make sure you don't have any 100-half's (and/or do a "show int | inc error") That indicates that you're set to Auto negotiate and the other side is hard-set to 100-full. (i.e. either set BOTH devices to Auto, or hard-set them both, but a mismatch will almost always cause problems.)

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: