cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New install - should I stick with 3.2(11) or go to 4.0?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

I am new to the FWSM and am just getting it installed in our lab for some testing. It is loaded with 3.2(2) and I see the 3.2 is up to 3.2(11) now, and there is also 4.0(3).

Is it recommended to move to 4.0(3), or should I stick with 3.2(11), which is probably much more stable at this time? I took a look at 4.0, and at this point have no need for the new features - but probably will want to take advantage of the PISA features at some time in the future.

1 Reply 1

Hi Jim,

3.x and 4.x are in two separate development trains, so it is difficult to objectively compare their stability levels.

Ultimately, the choice will be completely up to you. However, since you have already noted that you currently have no need for any of the 4.x features, I would probably recommend running 3.2(11).

Take a look through the release notes of each version. I would recommend comparing their features and, more importantly, their open caveat lists. If any of the known bugs apply to your environment, this may sway your decision in one direction or another.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card