cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP through ASA

agoraya
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup NTP from a router that is behind an ASA. I am trying to sync it with time.nist.gov (UDP port 123). However, the "sh asso det" list the NIST server as "insane and invalid". The ASA does do a source NAT and also changes the source port. When I use my backup internet connection that is a DSL modem then NTP work fine, different NAT address. On the ASA, for NTP, the packets are getting NAT'ed and UDP session is built. After 2 minutes the session is tore down.

Here is the syslog message:

Built outbound UDP connection 186440 for ouside:216.229.0.179/123 (216.229.0.179/123) to inside:172.16.64.4/123(xx.xx.xxx.xxx/409)

I have forced the NAT so that the source port stays 123 after NAT but no change.

Appreciate any input.

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NTP shouldn't care what your source port is, as long as the destination is udp/123.

Since it looks like the udp flow is being setup, I'd suspect something upstream isn't getting your packets to the destination NTP server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card