cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF on standby ASA

rakesh.thale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have ASA 5520 configured in Active/standby mode. These boxes are connected to two Cisco 3800 series routers. The OSPF is configured here to auto divert the traffic on these routers.

On my Active box the ospf is working fine. But at the same time my standby box is unable to establish ospf neighbourship.

Does it possible to have same ospf on both standby and Active boxes?

Kindly suggest.

ThankX in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From the 7.2 confiiguration guide

Dynamic Routing and Failover

Dynamic routes are not replicated to the standby unit or failover group in a failover configuration. Therefore, immediately after a failover occurs, some packets received by the security appliance may be dropped because of a lack of routing information or routed to a default static route while the routing table is repopulated by the configured dynamic routing protocols.

Full link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/ip.html

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will not see OSPF information on the standby unit until there is a failover to the standby unit and then OSPF will reconverge.

There will obviously be a delay when failing over so you may want to change the OSPF timers to reduce the amount of failover time.

Jon

Jon, Thankx for the valuable reply.

Can I have a reference document for the same.

Thanks again in advance.

From the 7.2 confiiguration guide

Dynamic Routing and Failover

Dynamic routes are not replicated to the standby unit or failover group in a failover configuration. Therefore, immediately after a failover occurs, some packets received by the security appliance may be dropped because of a lack of routing information or routed to a default static route while the routing table is repopulated by the configured dynamic routing protocols.

Full link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/ip.html

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card