Views
Helpful
Replies

passwd vs enable password on Cisco ASA

Dean Romanelli
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I am rolling out new ASA configs network wide with a read only account & a read-write account.  Both the login and enable passwords are different for each account, and I have successfully set up the usernames and enable passwords at their appropriate levels.  However, I also see the "passwd" command, and this doesn't give the option to specify an account level, meaning there can only be 1 "passwd."

Is this command ignored if enable passwords are in effect?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You need to understand that this password is specific to the Telnet service on the ASA device only.

If you want this to be specific to usernames created with different privileges on the ASA device , you can authenticate the TELNET connections as well using the AAA LOCAL authentication.

aaa authentication telnet console LOCAL

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You need to understand that this password is specific to the Telnet service on the ASA device only.

If you want this to be specific to usernames created with different privileges on the ASA device , you can authenticate the TELNET connections as well using the AAA LOCAL authentication.

aaa authentication telnet console LOCAL

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Understood.  Thank you Vibhor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card