cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PAT Multiple PPTP or Not

bmorgan
Level 1
Level 1

When searching cisco.com for configuration examples on allowing PPTP through an PIX or an ASA I found the term PAT for Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) in the 6.3 release notes. It is specifically for allowing multiple PPTP connections through the PIX.

Now when I look for configuration examples, everything says that it isn't possible to have multiple PPTP tunnels through a pix or asa.

So which is are the release notes right or the config examples?

Has this feature been dropped in 6.3?

Thanks,

Brian

Release Notes for 6.3:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a0080148714.html

Config Example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a0080094a5a.shtml#ts1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correcting myself..

When the PPTP server is behind a patted ip address, the connection would simply not work.

With clients behind a patted ip address, only first connection would work. Multiple connections would not work with out one to one translation.

I apologise for the wrong information.

HTH,

-Kanishka

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kaachary
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The part of the config example you are talking about, where it says that multiple pptp connection are not possible through PAT, is specifically for the scenario :

"PPTP with the Client Outside and the Server Inside"

When PPTP server is behind a patted ip address, only one connections is possible, and this is true for all Cisco devices.

When clients are behind a patted ip address, you need to add "fixup protocol pptp 1723" on the PIX for multiple PPTPT connections.

HTH,

-Kanishka

Correcting myself..

When the PPTP server is behind a patted ip address, the connection would simply not work.

With clients behind a patted ip address, only first connection would work. Multiple connections would not work with out one to one translation.

I apologise for the wrong information.

HTH,

-Kanishka

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card