Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 3DES/AES Free License Key?

A couple of years ago I requested the free 3DES/AES license for a PIX 501. The existing license key on the PIX was for 50-users, when I applied the new license it upgraded it to 3DES/AES but was restricted to 10-users. Since I didn't actually need the 3DES/AES license and only got the key as it was free I re-applied the previous license (this wasn't a production device anyway).

I will be upgrading a failover pair of PIX 515's shortly for a customer from 6.x to 7.2. I have checked the current license and it is unrestricted with failover but only DES. I would like to apply the 3DES/AES license for them but fear the free license key will 'downgrade' it to a restricted license with no failover.

Has anyone done a similar upgrade and used the tool to generate a free 3DES/AES license for an unrestricted PIX?

Thanks

Andy

3 Replies 3

n.lenevez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andy,

I have done a few PIX515E-URs and the free 3DES/AES license left them at UR. I think I remember that when going from 6.x to 7.x/8.x it does revert to a DES only license, but the Unrestricted is still there.

I went ahead and did the upgrade on Wednesday and crossed my fingers when I applied the new License keys. Thankfully everything went OK. I am still intrigued why the 501 I did a while ago reverted back to 10-Users though. I'll dig it out and see if I made a record of the original license.....

Andy

I have just received a used PIX 515 for the lab. It only had 64MB RAM & PIX OS 6.2 installed so I have upgraded the RAM to 128MB and installed PIX OS 7.2(4). The original license is unrestricted but didn't have 3DES/AES:

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces : 6

Maximum VLANs : 25

Inside Hosts : Unlimited

Failover : Active/Active

VPN-DES : Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES : Disabled

Cut-through Proxy : Enabled

Guards : Enabled

URL Filtering : Enabled

Security Contexts : 2

GTP/GPRS : Disabled

VPN Peers : Unlimited

This platform has an Unrestricted (UR) license.

I went on CCO and applied for the free 3DES/AES license which promptly arrived, however it now says it only has a FO license?

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces : 6

Maximum VLANs : 25

Inside Hosts : Unlimited

Failover : Active/Standby

VPN-DES : Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES : Enabled

Cut-through Proxy : Enabled

Guards : Enabled

URL Filtering : Enabled

Security Contexts : 2

GTP/GPRS : Disabled

VPN Peers : Unlimited

This platform has a Failover Only-Active/Standby (FO) license.

I have therefore restored the original UR license key but need 3DES/AES. Is there some special way I need to get the license to preserve the UR?

Andy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card