Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515 E-UR-BUN interface configurtion

Lavanholy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i hav ePIX 515E firewall,from the console,I am not able to enter into if configuration to assign IP address,means

pixfw#conf t

pixfw(conf t)#interface e0 here when I press enter it has to go to the ethernet interface prompt but it is not,instead it goes to configuration mode.

Then I have noticed that the Network LED is not at all glowing.What could be the problem?

Please help us to resolve this issue.

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

7 Replies 7

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

What pix code are you running?

for 6.x code this is the process for interface configuration.

pix#config t

pix(config)#nameif ethernet0 outside security0

pix(config)#interface ethernet0 100full

pix(config)#ip address outside

Similar process for inside or any other interface names.

pix(config)#nameif ethernet1 inside security100

pix(config)#interface ethernet1 100full

pix(config)#ip address inside

Let me know how it works out.

HTH

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hi Jorge,

Thanks a lot,How to erase the exiating configuration,erase nvram will do?

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

Siva, you are welcome.

Two ways to erase config or set pix/asa to factory-defaults

1- To set to factory defaults, does not need reboot.

pix#config t

pix(config)#configure factory-default

2- write erase will need reboot.

pix#write erase

Bst Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

I would appretiate whomever is rating this thread with 1 to be constructive and at least explain why you do not agree with my answers.

Jorge Rodriguez

Hi Jorge,

It worked well.thanks a lot.

With the entry of DNS primary and secondary in my desktop ,then only I can access the Internet through firewall,in that case I have put this DNS entry in all my 140 desktops,How to enable the DNS entry in firewall (Cisco PIX515 E). or should I configure the DNS in the WAN router.

Please help me.

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman

Are you using PIX inside for DHCP services to provide IP for your inside hosts, if so you may add dhcpd dns

e.i assuming dns servers are 10.10.10.10 and 20.20.20.20

PIX(config)#dhcpd dns 10.10.10.10 20.20.20.20

once you configure this go to a PC and make them optain dynamic for DNS as well then do c:\ipconfig /release then /renew IP address and DNS servers will be provided by PIX.

Let me know how it works out.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hi Jorge,

Thanks a lot,In fact I have defined the DNS servers in my gateway router and now it is working.

My setup is like this.

I have a Cisco 3825 router with 2 Gig interface gig0/1 is attached with the PIX outside interfcae with the Public IP and PIX outside interface also having the public peer IP,My router E1 is connected with the ISP,Now my router gig 0/0 and Pix inside interfaces are connected to a switch.

My router is configured as the DHCP server to deliver the dynamic IP with the defauls gateway as the PIX inside interface ,and I have defined the DNS servers in the DHCP pool.Now it is working.

My actual setup is going to be like this,I will have the Proxy server,all my desktops IE will have the proxy settings,and all desk tops will have the gateway as the routers Gig 0/0 interface IP to communicate with theie local server communication.When ever the client browse it will be throgh the proxy server whose gateway is the IX inside interface IP.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card