cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E ARP issue

mukundh86
Level 1
Level 1

I have pix 515e  Version 6.3(5). After installing it, it worked well for like 2-3 hours and all of a sudden stopped working. There were no crashes as such.

The firewall  had an external IP address of 1.1.1.2 with a default route pointed to 1.1.1.1 which is a 6500 core switch. I was not able to ping 1.1.1.1from the firewall. I tried connecting to different ports on the switch but no success and also connected the firewall to may laptop ( giving my laptop 1.1.1.1) and still no success.

One of the things i found is that when the firewall pings 1.1.1.1 , it sends icmp echos but doesnot receive anything back ( both in case of switch and laptop). I checked the configs and icmp has been allowed. I found that while on the ARP table of firewall i could see 1.1.1.1 but on ARP table of switch i couldn't see 1.1.1.2. I tried clearing arp entries but that did not help.

Has anyone faced this issue before?

Thanks

Mukundh

4 Replies 4

mukundh86
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I would like to add something here.

The pings started working when i added the "failover active" command. When i do the "no failover" command, it stops.

Not sure why this is happening.

Thanks

Mukundh

Hi Mukundh,

I would recommend you to upgrade the software of the PIX.

The last version is 8.(0)4, but anything starting with 7.1 would be fine.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Can you suggest me a good IOS to load into the PIX that would upgrade it to 7.1 or higher version?

Iam unable to look it up in cisco website.

Thanks

Mukundh

If you do not have access, you must contact your partner.

If you want to know the SW version, would personally go to 8.0(2).

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: