cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 515E second internal IP address

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone quick question how do you configure another ip address on a pix? I already have an in and out what I was looking to do is add another in address. I tried just doing: ip address inside 192.168.50.25 255.255.255.0 but ended up changing my inside ip address thus locking me out of the PIX. How do I add a secondary interface? Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Warren

interface ethernet2 100full

ip address intf2 192.168.50.24 255.255.255.0

Then connect the intf2 port to your switch. Obviously it needs to be in a different vlan than the one your inside interface connects to.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Warren

Pix firewalls do not allow secondary IP addresses on an interface so you have 2 choices really

1) Use a spare interface on the pix and address this from a different subnet range

2) If you don't have a spare interface you can run 802.1q on the inside interface and give yourself additional interfaces that way.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon;

Ok I have a spare interface on the pix, I tried to put an ip address on it but it changed my original inside interface and I locked myself out again. I was trying to add and ip address to:

no ip address intf2

interface2 but I keep changing my original inside ip and locking myslef out. I think I

know what I'm doing wrong but afraid to try it

now as I keep locking myself out. This is probably wrong:

ip address inside 192.168.50.25 255.255.255.0

I know this is wrong as I lock myself out

to add a ip address on interface2, which is free what do I need to do?

Warren

If you already have an inside interface called "inside" then you will need to give your spare interface a different name on the interface.

Which version of software are you running and could you post config.

Jon

Sure please see attached

I wanted to use ethernet2/intf2 add the following IP address to is

thank you for your help!!

Warren

interface ethernet2 100full

ip address intf2 192.168.50.24 255.255.255.0

Then connect the intf2 port to your switch. Obviously it needs to be in a different vlan than the one your inside interface connects to.

Jon

Thanks Jon for the information!!!! Have a good weekend!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: