Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 515E upgrade from 6.3(4) to 7.2(4)

shaw.chris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade a PIX515E from 6.3(4) to 7.2(4).

It has a restricted license and currently 32mb which will be upgraded to 64mb before the software update.

Does the PIX need to be upgraded to 7.0x first before 7.2x or can I go straight to 7.2x?

Also does this upgrade need to take place in monitor mode or can I simply "copy tftp flash:" ?

Regards,

Chris

3 Replies 3

vvarakan
Level 1
Level 1

Chris,

If you have PDM installed you must upgrade from monitor mode. You can directly upgrade to 7.2.x without have to go through 7.0.

Please see the following link for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa70/pix_upgrade/upgrade/guide/pixupgrd.html

Thanks, I was confused as I read Cisco documentation saying the PIX required a minimum of 7.0 in order to upgrade to 7.2

Is it an option to remove the PDM from the flash before the upgrade in order to update to v7 without using monitor mode?

Rgds,

Chris

Also,

"The PIX Version 6.3 image on a PIX 515 or PIX 535 only accesses the first 8 MB of Flash memory, instead of the entire 16 MB of Flash. The solution is to load the image from monitor mode"

Does this also apply to the 515E ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: