Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX and ASA VPN question

techtips03
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a remote user logging into a PIX506E through Microsoft Windows PPTP client. And once on VPN, he is not able to access his Internet. I believe it is a characteristic of software VPN but is there anyway he can browse the Internet changing routing tables etc or which way is best to go with?

As an alternative, if I use ASA unit, I know this doesnt support PPTP and wanted to know if there is another way to go with other than using Cisco VPN client.

Typically, I would like to use PIX506E without additional VPN client and able to browse the Internet if possible.

Please advise

18 Replies 18

Thanks all for your replies. I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

From all the above replies, I understand that I do not need "nat (inside) 0 access-list ---" command for remote client VPN config and I just need "nat (inside) 0 access-list nonat" (only for my site-site VPN). So how are we telling the ASA to avoid NAT on IPSEC packets for remote clients?

I am following this ink below which is an example for only remote client VPN access and I see these commands in place "nat (inside) 0 access-list 101" & "access-list 101 permit ip 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.2.0 255.255.255.0" which tells that NAT is avoided for IPSEC packets for remote clients

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009442e.shtml

Did I understood right? I will be configuring this in the first week of New year and will rate all the posts.

Thanks for all your time. You guys are of great help as always.

Can someone please advise on this?

Thanks

Ok 2 things one, yes you are correct that you need an ACL for your Remote clients but that is a standard access list like the one above. Secondly you do need to add the remote VPN IP space to your existing nonat access list. DO NOT remove your others just add the IP space you are using for your VPN clients. example below

access-list nonat permit ip (Internal addresss space) (VPN client DHCP address space)

That is right. I got this configured and I came to know that I need to add

access-list nonat permit ip 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

VPN works and also have access to Internet and also PPTP works

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card