Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX/ASA security config

kapish.mohole
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for a good document on PIX/ASA configuration.

Is there are wonderful document on PIX/ASA which can show configuration examples which can help in preventing ?

DoS/DDoS, SYN flood, Smurf attack

Also can help in Anti spoofing, Session hijacking, ARP poisoning

Thanks

3 Replies 3

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Kapish,

ASA and PIX alone have limited Intrusion detection or prevention capabilities. Therefore, PIX is limited in these types of intrusion prevention. As in ASA you can install the AIP module which as Intrusion Prevention system and can easily identify most signatures and take actions according to your configuration.

Below you can find a link to configure Intrusion Detection on PIX 6.3 :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/config/63config.pdf

Below you can find a link for PIX 7.2 and ASA:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/multisec/asa_sw/v_7_2/conf_gd/firewall/protect.htm

Hope this helps,

You rating is also appreciated,

Regards,

Hi, Thanks for reply and TCP normalization is quiet helpful.

I am looking for advanced techniques in PIX/ASA which can help in preventing these attacks; I know that PIX/ASA really isn?t much on intrusion detection side, but few configuration parameters which can harden security to minimize risk keeping IDS part aside.

Example ? ?no ip directed-broadcast? command in router can help to prevent smurf attack.

Similarly ?ip verify reverse-path? in PIX can help preventing spoofing.

I am looking for more such ways.

Thanks

hi kapish u need not worry abt ip directed broadcast as they are forwarded by pix or asa anyways. and abt ip verify unicast feature to prevent ip spoofing is supported on pix and asa.

hope this helps.

regards

sebastan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card