Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix Failover Mechanism for VLANS

nolanrumble
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've recently tried to configure failover for a Pix515 with VLAN's on one of the interfaces.

After configuring the failover details for the VLAN'd interfaces, and I enable failover on the Pix, it shows the other physical interfaces (after a while of waiting) reaching their Normal status. However the issue starts with the interface which contains the VLAN'd interfaces. It shows the physical interface as Normal (Waiting) and the VLAN'd interfaces are showing Normal (Waiting) as well.

Now here's the problem, the VLAN interfaces as well as the physical interface where the VLAN sits never reaches the Normal state.

Looking at "show arp" output, I can see MAC addresses for each of the Pix's and I can ping the VLAN'd interfaces from both Pix's and in both directions. I can also ping IP addresses in each of the VLAN's respectively without any problems and traffic is flowing from the VLAN's through the Pix to the other devices sitting off the physical interfaces.

The Pix's are using cable-based failover and are running version 6.3(5) and the primary is running an unrestricted license with the secondary having a failover license. The maximum number of interfaces as not been reached.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Nolan

1 Reply 1

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

The use of a pair of identical PIX devices (model, memory, network interface cards (NICs), operating system versions), high availability can be provided with no operator intervention.http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094ea7.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: