Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX operation

I read the info ( see attachment )in Cisco book "Cisco ASA , PIX,FSWM Firewall handbook , 2nd Edition by David Hucaby"

that for outbound operation , xlate happens before ACL (2nd line in attachemnt ). Moreover ACL uses translated IP rather than its local ones.

I think it has to be :

Packet from Inside to Outside :

ACL --> Routing --> NAT

Packet from Outside to Inside :

ACL --> NAT --> Routing

Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 REPLY

Re: PIX operation

Hi Rajesh ,

As per my understanding in case on ACL or Nat comes in ASA is , if the traffic initiate from inside network & want's to communicate to outside server(Internet) which 1st thing need is to be permit by ACL . If ACL Permit's the traffic then only it will forward the traffic otherwise will drop . After completing its looking for Global IP which he will get from the NAT , then it will route the packet .

In Case of Connection from outside to inside ,give you an example .

If your web server which is located inside segment & source is a Host which reside behind the Outside segment(Internet) wants to access the server , then in this case the Host(Internet) attempt to connect to webserver(Inside) on public ip which he get it through Static NAT . Then ASA Check the ACL if permit then forward the Packet & After coming to Nat interface it will unwrap the packet & transfer the packet to its original Local Ip address .

I hope it will useable for you .

Please rate it ......

Regards

Ritesh Malviya

Views
Helpful
Replies