cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix Packet Tracer Question

Neuromancer
Level 1
Level 1

When you run a packet trace, can you put any random source port above 1024 like TCP would normally pick?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The approach you use better simulates the actual behavior of the OS TCP/IP Stack. Usually ports above 1024 are chosen for source ports as the lower ports are reserved. But in most cases it does not matter that much because the real point is to test the destination server (80 in your example).

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes Chris, that can be done without any issues. It is just simulation anyway.

Regards

Farrukh

Farrukh, thank you for your response.

I think I'm more curious whether or not I'm using the packet tracer correctly. I've seen some of my coworkers put the same port for source and destination, and it didn't make sense to me. (For example, when testing http, they would put the source port as 80 as well as the destination.) I believe that this is the incorrect way to use the packet tracer. What do you think?

Thanks,

Chris

The approach you use better simulates the actual behavior of the OS TCP/IP Stack. Usually ports above 1024 are chosen for source ports as the lower ports are reserved. But in most cases it does not matter that much because the real point is to test the destination server (80 in your example).

Regards

Farrukh

This is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you very much for your help!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card