Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to test the ASAv?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

We have a VMware environment and I'd love to test the virtual version of the ASA, doesn't anyone know if this is even possible?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. You can download the OVA and then deploy. If you run it unlicensed, you will be limited to 100 kbps throughput (reference) but it will suffice to try out the installation and configuration process and get familiar with the product.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. You can download the OVA and then deploy. If you run it unlicensed, you will be limited to 100 kbps throughput (reference) but it will suffice to try out the installation and configuration process and get familiar with the product.

Brilliant, are there switches we can do the same with?

No Cisco switches just yet.

The soon-to-be-released CML (formerly known as the internal / Advanced Services VIRL product) will include switch support.

Some third party vendors (e.g. Arista Networks with their vEOS) allow you to run virtual versions of their switches on VMware.

Very exciting stuff, sorry I should of asked, but are routers also making their way?  I guess if the switches will be L3 then we can just use those anyway.

Yes - CML will include routers. Not only IOS-based but also IOS-XR/XE-based (e.g. ASR routers) ...if you have that license. NX-OS also. 
Some more info gleaned from Cisco Live Milan is posted here. Much more to come from Cisco Live US next week.

FYI - I gave this a go myself.

I wasn't able to deploy the OVA with either VMware Player or Oracle virtualBox (with or without using ovftool to convert the OVA to an OVF format).

It looks like you need to have a full-fledged ESXi server (plus deploy from vCenter).

Hello,
I got this error message when I try to download the OVA.
" Cisco service contract information indicates you are not authorized to download software for the following product(s): Adaptive Security Virtual Appliance (ASAv)"

Is there any other way to download this ASAv for testing?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card