Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem Licensing ASA 5505

cuelate21
Level 1
Level 1

HI!

I have a cisco 5505. I bought the cisco asa 5505 with base license.

First I bought and install a "L-ASA5505-10-UL= ASA 5505 10-to-Unlimited User Upgrade License" and then I bougth and install a "L-ASA5505-SEC-PL   ASA 5505 Sec. Plus Lic. w/ HA, DMZ, VLAN trunk, more conns" . license

The problem came when I try to install the second license, Security Plus. ASA shows this error:

Result of the command: "activation-key 44444 44444 444444 444444"

Failover is different.

flash activation key: Restricted(R)

new activation key: Unrestricted(UR)

Proceed with update flash activation key? [confirm]

ERROR: Failed to update flash activation key

I have only one ASA so the failover does not apply... no?

Cisco generate the activation key and the serial number and Product Authorization Key are ok.

thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You need to raise a TAC - they will re-issue the activation key based on your ASA's feature set.

HTH>

Andrew.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You need to raise a TAC - they will re-issue the activation key based on your ASA's feature set.

HTH>

Andrew.

Hi,

did you know why I can't install our new activation-key?

After we registred the Product Authorization Key (ASA 5505 10-to-Unlimited User Upgrade License) we received an E-Mail from licensing@cisco.com:

Installing Your Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Activation Key

Step 1.  From the command line interface (CLI), enter configuration mode using the "conf t" command.

Step 2.  Type the "activation-key" command, and then, when prompted, enter the new activation key listed above.

But if I type "conf t" [ENTER] and then "activation-key" [ENTER] it looks like this:

Result of the command: "conf t"

The command has been sent to the device

Result of the command: "activation-key"

activation-key
ERROR: % Incomplete command

What goes wrong? Can you help us? Or to whom should I contact?

Best regards

Martin Kaczynski

You don't hit enter after the activation-key command. You would need to put in the actual activation key at the end of the activation-key command.

Here is the sample command for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/a2.html#wp1623546

Hope that helps.

Hi,

thanks a lot! Now it works!

I think the main problem here is we follow the directions provided by Cisco.

The email CLEARLY says "Type the "activation-key" command, and then, when prompted, enter the new activation key listed above."

Why would we type the key after the command when Cisco's notification email tells us to wait for a prompt.

May I suggest perhaps changing the notification emails to have valid information instead of flawed information?

Just noticed this original post is 7 years old...and Cisco is still sending the same activation emails with the same incorrect information.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card