Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick Question

dj214
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All:

I want to start learning how to configure an manage a PIX. I was going to purchase a PIX 501 and get familiar with it. Providing the IOS is the same, Is it similiar to the higher end PIX's with regards to configuring and managing it?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

The Pix operating system is the same across all the pix hardware. However the latest major version of Pix software is v7.0 which is not supported on the Pix 501 or Pix 506 firewalls.

To run v7.0 you need a Pix 515E minimum.

If you bought a pix 501 you could run 6.3 code. v7.0 has a lot of new features compared to v6.3 but there is still a lot of commonality between the two. Think of 6.3 as a subset of v7.0 if you like.

Pix v7.0 has a GUI manager called ADSM. Pix v6.3 uses PDM. Again if you are familiar with one you should not have too much trouble with the other.

On the higher end firewalls you have things like failover which you obviously won't get on a pix 501.

Overall i would say if you can get a pix that runs v7.0 that would be better but learning 6.3 will not be a wasted effort at all.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

The Pix operating system is the same across all the pix hardware. However the latest major version of Pix software is v7.0 which is not supported on the Pix 501 or Pix 506 firewalls.

To run v7.0 you need a Pix 515E minimum.

If you bought a pix 501 you could run 6.3 code. v7.0 has a lot of new features compared to v6.3 but there is still a lot of commonality between the two. Think of 6.3 as a subset of v7.0 if you like.

Pix v7.0 has a GUI manager called ADSM. Pix v6.3 uses PDM. Again if you are familiar with one you should not have too much trouble with the other.

On the higher end firewalls you have things like failover which you obviously won't get on a pix 501.

Overall i would say if you can get a pix that runs v7.0 that would be better but learning 6.3 will not be a wasted effort at all.

HTH

Thanks - this was a big help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card