Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote failover activation

jacobs_son
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I know that the usual and recommended method for activating failover is to apply configuration to both devices, power up the secondary, patch the failover cable in then reboot the secondary.

I want to know if I will have any problems fully configuring both primary and secondary units, patching in the failover link at both ends, then powering on the secondary device?

I ask because I need to activate failover, but am not available on the day to assist, so I went everything fully configuring so that all they have to do is power on the secondary device on the day.

Thanks in advance,

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Having the right failover configs (enabled failover) on both units, keeping the secondary shut down while the primary is passing traffic, cabling them up for failover and just booting the secondary will work just fine.

I hope it helps.

PK

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the primary unit is active all you need to do is

issue "sh run fail" on the primary unit copy the lines to notepad and just replace one line that says "failover lan unit primary" to reflect "failover lan unit secondary" and paste it to the secondary unit.  They can have all the cables plugged in.

Also remember to issue no shut for the interfaces that are used for failover.

This should detect an active unit and sync up the config.

If you are going to be away. You can console into the unit and put just the above lines and save the config and shut the unit down. Have the rest of them connect all the cables and turn the unit on when the time comes.

-KS

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Having the right failover configs (enabled failover) on both units, keeping the secondary shut down while the primary is passing traffic, cabling them up for failover and just booting the secondary will work just fine.

I hope it helps.

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card