Helpful
Replies

Restoring context configuration on ASA

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

HI ,

please excuse me for this simple question

One of my ASA (5550 series) box died but luckly i had all my contexts configuration saved on a Flash card.

Q1.Can anybody provide me the steps to restore the  saved context configurations  to my new ASA (5550) box

• The new box is factory default in single mode.
  • I have 2 contexts and one admin context configuration files on the flash card and i need to restore them on the new ASA.

I will appreciate any help

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Allen P Chen
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

First, you should make sure the new ASA has the same license as the old ASA, that way the same features are enabled.  You should install the same software version that was running on the previous ASA into the new ASA, that way the configuration and features will be the same as before.  You can just quickly get an interface up and running to TFTP the software image.  While you're at it, you should TFTP the previous context configuration files (*.cfg) to the ASA's flash as well.  Once the ASA has the new software image, change the boot parameters to boot into the new image.

boot system disk0:/

Reboot into the new image.  Once it is running the new image, place the ASA in multiple context mode.

mode multiple

After the ASA reloads, it will now be in multiple context mode.  It should reboot into the system context.  If you perform the command "dir", you should see your previous configuration files there.  So within the system context, you now want to create the same contexts as before and allocate the same interfaces.  When you define the name and location of the context config file, point to the config files that already on the flash.  For example, say your previous admin context configuration file is admin.cfg.  Here is the sample config:

admin-context admin (for example)

context admin

allocate-interface

config-url disk:/admin.cfg

This will then populate the admin context with the configuration in the admin.cfg file on the flash.  You can repeate the process for the other contexts.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Allen P Chen
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

First, you should make sure the new ASA has the same license as the old ASA, that way the same features are enabled.  You should install the same software version that was running on the previous ASA into the new ASA, that way the configuration and features will be the same as before.  You can just quickly get an interface up and running to TFTP the software image.  While you're at it, you should TFTP the previous context configuration files (*.cfg) to the ASA's flash as well.  Once the ASA has the new software image, change the boot parameters to boot into the new image.

boot system disk0:/

Reboot into the new image.  Once it is running the new image, place the ASA in multiple context mode.

mode multiple

After the ASA reloads, it will now be in multiple context mode.  It should reboot into the system context.  If you perform the command "dir", you should see your previous configuration files there.  So within the system context, you now want to create the same contexts as before and allocate the same interfaces.  When you define the name and location of the context config file, point to the config files that already on the flash.  For example, say your previous admin context configuration file is admin.cfg.  Here is the sample config:

admin-context admin (for example)

context admin

allocate-interface

config-url disk:/admin.cfg

This will then populate the admin context with the configuration in the admin.cfg file on the flash.  You can repeate the process for the other contexts.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: