Views
Helpful
Replies

route maps

josephium
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

anyone knows why policy routing to a next hop ip address is not supported in asa ? will it be soon ? (i can only use route map with ospf metrics, there is no ip next hop command)

Thank you

5 Replies 5

josephium
Level 1
Level 1

anyone ?

Route-maps on ASA are only for redistributing ospf routes between ospf processes. PBR as we see in IOS is not available in ASA.

Syed

Joseph

I believe that Syed is on the right track with his response. A router is a device that does mostly routing and some firewall functions. An ASA is a device that does nostly firewall functions and some routing.

Policy Based Routing with route maps is a routing function. To get that routing function you need a router. I doubt that the ASA will go so far in its routing function to ever support PBR.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your input. I have a problem.

ASA -----link1 ------ASA2

-----link2 ------ASA2

My ASA has two interfaces/links to ASA2 at site B. I want to route particular traffic on each link. How can I do that?

Whoa,

A pretty old thread this one.

To my understanding ASAs are getting PBR feature in one of the future updates to the software.

I would wait until that feature becomes available. Otherwise I would leave PBR for actual routers and keep the firewall configurations as simple as possible.

I guess there are some tricks you can do with NAT but I have never really gone deep into such setup (other than to simply test it briefly)

- Jouni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card